Tears in the Glen

Tears in the Glen is the family history of an Australian family who have traced their roots back to Baron McInturner of Craigcoll/Craighoyle, Glenfinart, Ardentinny.

Dedicated to the history of the Turners of Craigcoll/hoyle, their ancestors and their descendants who migrated to Australia in the 1800s. The video tells the story of the family from its beginnings until the 1850s.

Created by Richard Balsillie, the story recounts how Baron McInturner received his Barony from Robert the Bruce and how members of the Campbell clan killed him one night on his way to Whistlefield for his supposed support of the Lamont clan. Remains of the cairn still exist and it is one of Ardentinny Community Council’s ongoing projects to restore it.

Additional images and footage were provided by ardentinny.org. Richard would welcome viewer comments and any additional historic information. A video on the next part of the story, focussing on the Turners of Eaglehawk, Victoria is expected to be published late in 2011.

Related Posts

Comments

1. Alison Duncan says:

Hi Richard, Catherine Montgomery of the Strachur Historical Society has information about the site of the murder of Baron McInturner. There is still evidence of a small cairn – if you know where to look! Catherine also has a photo of a car belonging to the farmer from (Corantee – this is incorrect spelling of a Gaelic name meaning corrie of the faeries) on Loch Eckside – he and some friends had stopped to view the cairn a long time ago — 1920s, 30s?
    I enjoyed the first video — has the second one been posted anywhere? I am particularly interested in anything farther about the murder of Baron McInturner on the High Larach. (I have read the Whistlefield data boards)
    One comment tho’ – it would have been good to have had correct / Scottish pronunciations of names and places! They don’t necessarily sound the way they look – — !!
    Aye, Alison

2. admin says:

Video is now back online!

3. admin says:

We have contacted the author of video Kerryn asking if the video is available elsewhere online.

4. kerryn Greenwood,(McArthur) says:

Hi was saddened to see that this short film has been removed, My mother is Margaret maiden name Bayliss from woodvale who is in the Turrner family is there any way of getting a copy of the film thanking you Kerryn.

5. Richard Balsillie says:

While most of the footage was shot by myself, I relied heavily on the support and contrinution of people like David McDowall, John McIntyre, Alan Wallace and others to provide some of the local imagery. To them I am very grateful. David’s broader support is also very much appreciated.

I would be grateful too, to anyone who can pinpoint the location of Baron McInturner’s Cairn and provide a contemporary photo of the site. After makng the video, I uncovered more information about the murder of Baron McInturner. A copy can be seen at the Whistlefield Inn.

Richard Balsillie
    Melbourne, Australia

6. John McIntyre says:

I also put images into Richard’s video the ones of Old Craigholyle House and the old one of the same which I got from Allan Wallace who very kindly sent it to me.

John McIntyre.